Are you looking for an SEO friendly WordPress theme for your blog? I've got you covered.
I've written this detailed guide to help you in making a correct decision while purchasing a theme for your site.
The best part?
I've covered only four of the best WordPress themes that are very popular among website owners. These themes have been used by million of websites around the world and of course, all of them are SEO-friendly.
Let's get started.
Which Is The Best SEO Friendly WordPress Theme?
SEO is crucial for your website ranking. If not done right, your website cannot rank high on search engines.
Apart other SEO methods like acquiring high-quality backlinks, your website design and structure should also be SEO-friendly. And this is taken of by your WordPress theme that has been created by their developers keeping SEO in mind.
In simple terms, we can say that the best SEO optimized themes are those that:
- have a simple code base
- which is fast and scores high on Google PageSpeed Insights, GTMetrix, Pingdom & other speed testing tools
- have properly structured meta tags
- good Schema markup
I have compiled some of the best SEO friendly WordPress themes that can help you to make your site SEO-optimized and rank it higher on search engines.
Let's check them out.
Best WordPress Theme FOR SEO
GeneratePress is one of the most popular WordPress themes. It is used by more than 200000+ websites.
It has both the free and premium versions.
The free theme has the following features:
- It uses the latest and most stable coding standards.
- The default theme is less than 30 KB in size. Your website will load under 2 to 3 seconds.
- No render-blocking issues with this theme.
- The theme is Search Engine Optimized. It is coded with validated HTML and built-in schema.org structured data.
GeneratePress Premium plugin has the following features:
- The Site Library module gives you an ever-growing list of demo sites to kick start your next project. These demo sites can be imported and tweaked that suits your needs.
- The Color module gives you control to change site colors using over 60 color options.
- The Typography module contains over 70 typography options that give you complete control over your site text. Change the font type and font color of your headings or main content text.
- The Elements module allows you to create different types of hooks for example to add codes related to Google Analytics, Google Adsense, etc.
- The Menu Plus module allows creating Sticky navigation, off-canvas navigation, mobile header, and many more.
- And many more modules like Blog, Spacing, Secondary NAV, Background, Sections, Disable Elements, and Copyright/Import-Export.
The premium version comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Thus, it provides a great opportunity to try this wonderful theme risk-free.
I am also using the GeneratePress theme on this blog - technicalwall.com. My website loads under 3 seconds which is perfect in terms of SEO.
Must Read: GeneratePress Review
Astra is another very popular WordPress theme for SEO which is very lightweight requiring only 50 KB of resources.
Astra comes in both a free version at WordPress.org, as well as a premium version.
This popular theme is used by more than 800000+ users around the world.
It is a mobile responsive and SEO optimized WordPress theme.
Astra WordPress theme has the following features:
- Customize the theme without touching any code.
- You can use pixel perfect ready to use website demos from its library of starter templates.
- Like GeneratePress, Astra is also one of the most lightweight themes available in the market.
- With default WordPress data, Astra loads in less than a half-second. With Astra theme, your website will always be super fast to load.
- SEO friendly schema markup, Hooks & Filters, Translation & RTL ready are some of its additional features.
The Third theme that we like the most is Genesis. It is one of the most popular WordPress theme frameworks from StudioPress.
Genesis is the core theme that comes with many child themes to control your website’s design and style. You can use these child themes to build your blogs or websites.
Like GeneratePress and Astra, Genesis also offers a clean and lightweight code that will make your website load very fast.
It also automatically adds basic schema markup, heading structure, and lets you add breadcrumbs with the check of a box.
With Genesis SEO optimized theme your website will always be perfectly optimized for SEO resulting in better rankings on search engines.
Responsive is built with semantic best practices and keeping the search engines algorithm in mind. It is one of the better SEO friendly WordPress Themes available. This WordPress theme has a GTmetrix score as high as 96. Therefore, it will ensure your website is SEO friendly.
Additionally, It comes with 15+ Free ready to use site templates for free users. Starting from a blog site to setting up a full fledged eCommerce store, this theme has got you covered.
With more than 40000 active installs, the support is impeccable for Responsive. Responsive is easily translatable into any language with WPML. This even allows you to create a multilingual website.
Responsive comes in both free and premium versions at WordPress.org
Why Use A SEO Friendly Theme?
Selecting an SEO friendly WordPress theme is very important when you plan to start a blog.
Just writing a 2000 words quality content is not enough to rank high on Google if it is not backed up by an SEO optimized WordPress theme.
All your hard work will not get the kind of exposure it deserves.
You may have heard many times that one must focus on search engine optimization (SEO) to rank your blog higher.
Among many SEO factors, SEO friendly WordPress theme is one such factor that can help your blog achieve first page rankings on Google.
Some of the main factors that are responsible for higher ranking in search engines are:
- On-page optimization
- Keyword research
- Website loading speed
- Your web hosting server
- Social Media presence
- Seo Optimized WordPress theme
Not all WordPress themes are SEO-optimized especially the free ones.
One must avoid free themes as after sometime developers of these themes stop releasing any new updates which make your site vulnerable to errors and hacking. Free themes may even cause your site to break.
Thus, you must use a well-optimized SEO friendly WordPress theme for your blog.
Keeping the remaining SEO-factors same, if you are using a perfectly optimized SEO theme for your blog while your competitors are not, then you can easily outrank them in search results.
With an SEO friendly theme, you’ll have an SEO-optimized WordPress website right from the start and you can focus your efforts on other SEO factors.
What makes WordPress theme SEO friendly?
WordPress themes and templates are an important part of a website’s structure.
Many premium themes sell itself by highlighting all sorts of stuff like sliders, carousels, etc. These resource-heavy themes make your website slow to load.
It is estimated that about 50% of users leave a website if it takes more than 3 seconds to load.
This not only increases your bounce rate but also affects your websites sales and revenue.
If you use these types of resource-heavy WordPress themes in your blog then you'll see lower rankings even if your content is good.
While the main purpose of a theme or template is to make your website look good and attractive but if a theme is SEO friendly also then it is considered as an added advantage.
Thus, before buying any WordPress themes first take a look at whether the theme is SEO friendly or not.
If a WordPress theme is SEO friendly it basically means the theme is properly optimized for the following:
- HTML Markup: The HTML5 tags must be correctly used in your website to correctly highlight the most important parts of the blog content. For example, it will not make any sense if the H3 tag is placed before H1 or H2 tag.
Having properly structured heading tags such as H1, H2, H3, etc. allows search engines to understand what the content is all about. A well-optimized theme will have these properly structured right out of the box.
- Page Size: Nowadays many premium theme developers try to keep their overall theme size below 500 KB. Why? Because nobody likes a slow website. A slow website ranks poorly on search engines.
- Mobile-responsive: Your website should display perfectly in all kinds of devices like desktop, mobile, or tablet. Nowadays, almost 60-70% of the traffic of a website comes from mobile. So it makes sense to use a mobile-responsive theme.
Google now uses the mobile version of a website in its crawling, indexing, and ranking systems. So, it is another great reason to opt for an SEO friendly WordPress theme which is optimized for the mobile devices.
- Schema Markup: It helps search engine crawlers to provide rich information to your users even before they visit the website. All good SEO optimized themes have these which helps in improving the CTR (Click Through Rate) and conversion rate.
Please remember that there are hundreds of factors due to which a blog ranks higher on search engines. Among these many factors, SEO optimized WordPress theme are also one of the important factor.
You would still need to work on other SEO factors like backlinks, on-page SEO, etc. Your website up-time and loading speed also play a crucial role in your ranking on Google. So, always use hosting from good web hosting providers.
If you want to rank your blog higher in search engines like Google or Bing, choose any of these themes if you're not already using them.
You will soon see improvement in your blog in terms of speed, optimization and responsiveness on different devices.
If you think that there is any other SEO WordPress theme better than the one I have mentioned above, please offer your comment.
Sharing is Caring! If you like my effort in creating this article, please take a moment to share it on social media websites. The sharing link is given below.