What is a GIF?
GIF is a short form of Graphics Interchange Format. It is a lossless format for image files that supports both animated and static images. It was invented in 1987 by Steve Wilhite, a US software writer.
It is quite common now to see people using gifs on popular social networking websites.
Why GIFs has become so much popular? It is a more expressive way to communicate with your friends, relatives or colleagues. It is also used to add a little fun to the chat.
These features have made GIFs hugely popular in all major websites like Tumblr, Buzzfeed and Reddit. In recent years, social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have also jumped on the bandwagon.
Okay, so this article is for those people who want to learn how to post GIF on Facebook.
At the end of this article, I will also reveal some of the top websites where you can find tons of GIFs to be used across social networks.
Let's get started and join the fun with GIFs.
Do you know that the word GIF was named the 2012 Oxford Dictionary Word of the Year?
How to Post a GIF on Facebook?
Earlier users had to enter the URL of a GIF hosted somewhere else on Facebook. Now posting animated GIF on Facebook post has become quite easier with the GIF button.
To upload a GIF in your Facebook post, follow the steps given below.
Login to your Facebook account. Once you're inside your account, click on the area where it is written - What's on your mind? This is the place where you would post your status and picture.
When you click inside the area as shown in the above image, you get different options to select - Photo/Video, Tag friends, Check in, Feeling/Activity and GIF.
When you click on the more button, the three dots, you get some options to choose like Raise money, Live video and Watch party.
As shown in the image given below, you need to select GIF from the options.
Facebook will automatically show some GIF that you can choose to post. You also have the option to search for any particular GIF you're looking for.
Enter the search term inside the search area according to your mood or status, and hit Enter.
Let's say you are happy about a recent achievement and wanted to share your excitement with your friends.
Just type HAPPY inside the search bar. It will present you GIFs related to the happy moments.
- Select the GIF that you want to add in your Facebook post.
- After the GIF has been added to your post, add some text to it.
- After completing the above steps, press the Post button. That's it.
- Your post with GIF will be posted as your status in the Facebook for your friends to see, like, share and comment.
I hope now you know how to upload a GIF to Facebook as a post status. Whenever you need to upload a GIF to Facebook, apply the above steps.
Need help in writing your first eBook, check out this guide - How to Write an eBook in 7 Easy Steps?
How to Upload a GIF on Facebook?
Above we have covered how to add GIF that are available on Facebook by default.
But what about uploading your own GIFs?
Popular websites like Giphy are one of the most popular source for GIFs & Animated Stickers online. Users on social media and messaging platforms can use these animated GIF images from Giphy and embed them in their post or messages.
So if you want to upload GIFs available on third-party websites like Giphy on Facebook, follow the steps given below.
There are three options provided by Giphy that you can use to add GIFs on Facebook.
- Upload a GIF natively into Facebook's status box.
- Upload a GIF directly to Facebook directly from giphy.com
- Upload a GIF directly to Facebook from the GIPHY mobile app.
Upload the GIF natively into Facebook's status box
- Go to giphy.com or launch your GIPHY mobile app. Select GIF that you would like to post on Facebook.
- You will be directed to the GIF detail page.
- On desktop, save the GIF by right-clicking and hit save. On mobile, you can save the GIF to your camera roll.
- Open your Facebook profile and navigate to the status box.
- In the status box, click on Photo/Video and select your saved GIF.
- Once your GIF is uploaded, click Share.
Upload a GIF directly to Facebook directly from giphy.com
- On giphy.com, click on the selected GIF that you'd like to post on Facebook.
- Once you click on the GIF, you will be directed to the GIF detail page.
- Click on the Facebook upload button located on the GIF detail page. The Facebook upload button is located on the right hand side of the GIF under Share It! in the GIF detail page (see the image given below).
Upload a GIF directly to Facebook directly from the GIPHY App
- Open the GIPHY mobile app and tap on the located under any GIF.
- It will open a selection of social sharing buttons — tap on the Facebook button.
- Once you tap on the Facebook button, it will automatically add the GIF in the Facebook status box.
- Type your text. Once you're finished with your post, click Share.
How to find the perfect GIFs?
I have already covered Giphy above where you can find tons of GIFs. But it is not the only option out there.
Below I have compiled some more best places where you find GIFs and memes that'll help you to add some emotion, fun to your writing.
Do you know you can also make your own GIFs? There are many popular online sites that can help you easily create your own unique animated GIFs. I would recommend you to try Visme as it is currently one of the best gif maker in the industry. To get started you can choose from its pre-built GIF templates and customize the design elements like icons, illustrations, images and more.
A GIF helps to you to add the necessary context to the post/messages that is needed to connect with your readers or friends on Facebook.
A moment of glory, excitement, or any other mood can be easily expressed with the help of a GIF on social media websites like Facebook.
Earlier using GIFs was considered unprofessional but it has quickly gain ground to become a hugely popular tool of social media and social media marketing.
If you're a blogger then also you can use animated GIFs on your website to add value to your brand and show off your personality.
In this article, you learn how to post GIF on Facebook, in the same way, GIFs can be uploaded on other social networks (Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and others) as well.
Start using GIFs as they are eye-catching and are easily shareable across multiple social networks.
Sharing is Caring! If you like this article, please take a moment to share it across social media websites