Are you looking for an honest Moz vs Semrush review? You're in the right place.
If you're looking to increase traffic to your site, you've two option - paid traffic and organic traffic.
Paid traffic indeed works well to bring in sales to your site but there are two disadvantages to it:
- You need to pour money into your ads continuously, but there is no guarantee that it will work all the time.
- As soon as you stop investing money into ads, your traffic and sales will drop.
If you're one of those who want to drive free and consistent traffic to a website, the only option is SEO.
And to do proper SEO, you need to work with some of the world's best tools.
Both Moz and Semrush are among the best all-in-one SEO toolkits that offer impressive features to grow traffic to your website.
So it becomes equally challenging to choose one among them as the best tool.
If you're reading this article, then you're probably confused between Moz and SEMrush.
To help you select one among them, I'm going to share features, pricing, pros and cons of both these tools so you can easily decide which one is perfect for you.
Let's get started.
As both these tools provide free trials, it is recommended that before you invest your money, give a try to both these tools and see which one works best for you.
So grab here the quick links to the trial versions of both these tools.
Moz vs SEMrush: Which Is The Best SEO Tool?
Before we dive into the features, let's look into the plans offered by both these tools.
Plans offered by Moz are:
- Standard: $99 per month
- Medium: $149 per month
- Large: $249 per month
- Premium: $599 per month
Plans offered by SEMrush are:
- Pro: $99.95 per month
- Guru: $199.95 per month
- Business: $399.95 per month
The price of both the Standard plan (Moz) and Pro plan (SEMrush) are almost the same at $99 per month.
So we will limit this review to these plans only to see which tool offers the maximum value for the same price.
Let's first have a look at all the features of Moz vs Semrush.
Features of Standard Plan (Moz)
Features of Pro Plan (SEMrush)
Let's see important features comparison of Semrush vs Moz.
|Plan Features||SEMrush PRO||Moz Standard|
|Users per Account||1||1|
|Keywords to Track||500||300|
|Pages to Crawl per Month||100000||400000|
|Pages to Crawl per Audit||20000||3000|
|Social Media Profile Tracking||50||NA|
|Get Free Trial||SEMrush Free Trial||Moz Free Trial|
Every SEO tool on the market claims to have the most accurate and most extensive database of keywords, backlinks, and other analytics.
You can only trust the tools that have been here for a long time and have upgraded themselves with new features with time.
Semrush and Moz are such tools.
Let's look at them in detail below.
Moz Pro: Overview
Moz Pro is a popular all-in-one SEO software suite that contains tools to boost your search engine rankings.
The key features of Moz Pro include
- Link Research & Explorer
- Keyword Research & Explorer
- Rank Checker
The Moz database contains 500 million keywords, 40 trillion links & 8 million SERPs data.
From Keyword Research, Site Audit to Link Research, Moz features all the important SEO tools you need to manage your campaigns.
Let us check out what you can achieve with Moz Pro.
Semrush is one of the most popular SEO tools in the world. It is an all-in-one SEO toolset to boost your search engine rankings.
The tool allows you to discover your competitors, improve your SEO, and boost your rankings.
With more than 6 million users, 20 billion keywords & 800 million domains, it has one of the largest databases.
Semrush can help you see what your competitors' websites have done to achieve success and how you can replicate them to make it work for your site.
There's nothing you can't do with Semrush. You just need to know how to use it in the best possible way.
Semrush constantly updates its databases. Thus, you get the most recent and relevant data to up your SEO strategy.
Let's have a look at what you can achieve with SEMrush.
Click here to get the free trial of Semrush
If you want to learn more about the free trial, check out our article - Semrush trial. In this article, I have explained how to avail the free trial and what are the important features & benefits you get under the free trial. If you want to learn more about Semrush in detail, check out my article - Semrush Review 2022.
Moz vs SEMrush: Dashboard Overview
Let's have a look at the Dashboard of both Moz and SEMrush.
Below is the Domain Overview of a website at Moz. You get all the vital metrics at a single place.
All the essential features of Moz Pro are arranged into different categories on the left side of the Dashboard.
Inside the Moz Pro Dashboard, you would find all the features divided into different categories.
Let's check them out.
Insights. It provides Ranking Summary, Featured Snippet Opportunity, Domain Issues, Keyword Opportunities, and Link Opportunity for a domain.
- Site Overview
- Ranking Keywords
- Keyword Overview
- Keyword Suggestions
- SERP Analysis
- Inbound Links
- Linking Domains
- Compare Link Profiles
- Keyword Position Tracking
Moz Pro Domain Overview
Inside the Moz Pro Dashboard, you can create a new campaign by adding a domain.
Once added, it will take about 30 minutes to crawl and get all the domain statistics.
The Campaign reveals the following information of a domain.
- Search Visibility: It is the percentage of estimated clicks a domain receives based on the organic rankings positions. Search Visibility is one of the first metrics you'll see in your Campaign Dashboard.
- External Links: It gives you total external links pointing to your domain.
- Keywords Ranked: It shows you where your site is ranking for a particular keyword.
- Domain Authority: It shows the Domain Authority (DA) of a domain. It is a search engine ranking score developed by Moz that predicts how well a website will rank on a search engine. It can then be used to compare websites or tracking the ranking strength of a website over time.
Here is an overview of the Semrush Dashboard. The Dashboard is simple yet very beautifully organized, with all the important features arranged into categories on the left side.
Inside the Dashboard, you would find all the features divided into different categories.
Let's check them out.
- Domain Overview
- Traffic Analytics
- Organic Research
- Keyword Gap
- Backlink Gap
- Keyword Overview
- Keyword Magic Tool
- Keyword Manager
- Organic Traffic Insights
- Backlink Analytics
- Backlink Audit
- Link Building Tool
- Bulk Analysis
- Position Tracking
On Page & Tech SEO
- Site Audit
- SEO Content Template
- On Page SEO Checker
Semrush Domain Overview
While using Semrush, the first step you should take is to check the Domain Overview and perform a Site Audit on your site.
Under Domain Overview, you would get the following analytics.
- Authority Score: It is a compound domain score that grades the overall quality of a website. The higher the score, the more assumed weight a domain's or web page's backlinks could have.
- Organic Search Traffic: It is the number of keywords that a domain ranks for in Google's top 100 organic search results.
- Paid Search Traffic: It shows information related to a domain's paid traffic, its cost, ad copies, etc.
- Backlinks: It shows a domain's overall backlinks.
- Keywords by Country: It shows the country-wise distribution of a domain's organic keywords.
- Traffic Trend: You can see changes in the amount of traffic drive to a domain. The metrics are in 1 month, 6 month, 1 year, 2 years, and all time.
- SERP Features: The percentage of keywords for which an analyzed domain ranks in each SERP feature.
- Keywords Trend: Changes in the number of organic keywords an analyzed domain was ranking for.
- Top Organic Keywords: It displays keywords that generate the most organic traffic to a website.
- Main Organic Competitors: Check who are your main organic competitors based on the number of common keywords shared by your competitors.
- Follow vs No Follow: It shows the number of follow and no-follow links coming to a website. Please remember that follow link passes link juice and boost your page rank.
Moz vs Semrush: Site Audit Overview
Site Crawl (Site Audit) of a domain in Moz
Critical Crawl issues can affect your site's success.
With the Moz Site Crawl feature, you check your sites for issues like 500 status errors, 400 errors, and redirects to 400 pages.
It also keeps track of new and recurring issues over time.
Colorful charts (see above) show the breakdown of issue categories, new issues, and total issues.
It allows you to discover trends and opportunities quickly and inform you of the site's overall SEO performance.
It not only shows you the issues but also helps you fix those issues by providing recommendations on how to fix it.
Site Audit of a domain in Semrush
Site Audit gives you an incredibly clear picture of your site. You won't be able to find issues your site is facing unless you use tools like SEMrush to do a comprehensive audit of your site.
For Site Audit, you need to add your domain under Projects.
You need to wait a couple of minutes, and you'll be presented with a complete audit of your site.
After completion of the Site Audit, you will get a clear picture of your site's overall health score. Any issues present in your site will be displayed in the form of:
- Warnings and
Semrush also gives you suggestions on how to fix all issues on your site. Fixing these issues will improve your site's health score for better SEO performance.
Moz vs Semrush: Keyword Research Overview
Keyword Research in Moz
For finding new keyword opportunities in Moz, you can head over to Keyword Research and enter your target keyword in the Keyword Explorer.
As soon as you select the Analyze button after entering your keyword, it will give you the following useful data:
- Monthly Volume
- Organic CTR
You would also get keyword suggestions and SERP Analysis.
- Keyword Suggestions
- SERP Analysis
Keyword Research in Semrush
Keyword Overview is another important feature of Semrush. You need to enter your target keyword and select the Search button.
You'll get lots of useful keyword data such as:
- Search Volume
- Keyword Difficulty
- Country-wise Volume
- Results on SERP
You would also get keyword suggestions to target your content strategy effectively, such as:
- Keyword Variations
- Related Keywords
Moz vs Semrush: Backlinks Analysis Overview
Quality backlinks are one of the essential SEO factors to rank your website higher on search engines.
Let's see the backlinks analytics data of both the SEO tools.
Backlink Analytics in Moz
In the Moz Dashboard, select Link Research >> Overview.
Enter the domain name for which you want to see the backlinks analytics and click on Analyze.
It will give you data related to backlink such as:
- Total backlinks
- Referring domains that have linked to your site in the last 60 days
- Backlinks lost in last 60 days
- Top anchor text
- Referring domains with their Domain Authority score
- Link attributes - Follow & No-follow
Backlink Analytics in Semrush
Backlinks are the most important SEO factor to rank your website higher on search engines.
SEMrush is one of the best tools to spy on your competitor's backlinks.
Go to Backlink Analytics under Link Building in Semrush Dashboard. Enter the domain name and select Search.
It will give you tons of data related to backlink such as:
- Total backlinks
- Referring domains that have linked to your site
- Backlinks you've gained during 6 months, 1 year or during lifetime of your site
- Top anchor keywords of your backlinks
- Referring domains with their authority score
- Backlinks types - text, image or frame
- Link attributes - Follow, No-follow, Sponsored or UGC
Moz vs Semrush: Pricing Overview
Moz Pricing Plans
The subscription plans offered by Moz are:
- Standard: $99/month. This is a perfect plan if you're new to SEO.
- Medium: $149/month. This is the most popular plan offered by Moz. It gives you full access to keyword research tools.
- Large: $249/month. This plan works best for businesses and agencies.
- Premium: $599/month. This plan is best for large SEO-focused agencies and in-house marketing teams.
Moz offers a 20% discount on all its plan when you pay yearly.
Semrush Pricing Plans
Following are the subscription plan offered by Semrush:
- Pro: $119.95/month. This plan is best for bloggers, freelancers, startups and in-house marketers with a limited budget. With 40+ advanced tools, you can check the ranking of a site, social media results, spy on your competitors’ traffic sources, & many more features.
- Guru: $229.95/month. This plan is perfect for SMB and growing marketing agencies. It contains all the Pro plan features that include content marketing platform, historical data, and others.
- Business: $449.95/month. Large agencies, E-commerce projects and businesses prefer to use the Business Plan as it offers all the Guru plan features and also includes white label reports, API access & others.
On a yearly subscription of any of its plans, you would get a discount of 16%.
Moz vs Semrush: Which SEO Tool Should You Buy?
At TechnicalWall, I have used both the Moz Pro and Semrush tools for keyword research, competitor's backlink analysis, site audit and other SEO needs.
Both the tools have some of the best SEO features you want to have in your arsenal.
But after using both these tools, I can safely state that at the same price of $99 per month, Semrush offers more features than Moz Pro.
Thus, based on features offered under paid subscriptions, I’d highly recommend Semrush over Moz.
However, before committing to putting in your money in any of these tools, I would advise you to try both of them as both these tools offer a free trial on their paid subscription plan.
Using both these tools during the trial period would give you useful insight into their features and benefits.
Grab the trial versions of both these tools below.
Moz vs SEMrush: Which Is The Best SEO Tool?
Both Semrush and Moz are very popular among bloggers, large business websites, and SEO agencies.
Picking one tool among Semrush and Moz is tough because they are both great SEO tools and possess some of the best features.
In terms of pure value, Moz Pro is a good deal. However, it falls behind when it's features are compared with Semrush on the same price point ($99 per month).
If you're new to SEO or a small business owner or a marketer who wants the best value on their investment, you can’t go wrong with the Semrush.
I would recommend you to go with Semrush if you want to grow your business website or your blogging career.
Semrush also has one of the best resource hubs where you can enhance your skills in digital marketing, content strategy, SEO, PPC, social media and more.
So what are you waiting for? Try both of these tools for free and see for yourself which one is working best for you.
Grab here the links to the trial versions of both these tools.
If you liked this comparison article on Moz vs Semrush, please do me a favor by sharing it on social channels.