Once you finish writing your eBook, the next important task you would want to accomplish is to create an attractive eBook cover.
The importance of an eBook cover cannot be underestimated. A good eBook cover design should be eye catching and relevant to the content of the book.
That is why you must pay serious attention in designing your eBook cover. It is the first thing that a potential customer sees and encourages them to explore the book further..
A well-designed eBook cover will make your book stand out in the digital marketplace and will help generate more sales.
In this article, I will be presenting you the complete eBook cover design guide that you must follow for generating more leads, sales and revenue from your eBook.
Let's get started.
9 eBook Cover Design Best Practices
As an author, if you're selling eBooks, you need to make sure that your eBook cover stands out in the crowd.
Designing a professional eBook cover is not as simple as it may seem. You need to take into consideration many different factors, such as - the genre of your book, the title of your book, and the tone you want your cover to convey.
The goal of your eBook cover design is to entice people to buy your book by making it stand out from the crowd.
In this eBook cover design guide, we will go through all of these factors in detail and provide you with instructions on how to make a professional eBook cover that will drive sales for you.
We will also talk about some examples of great covers that have been done in the past so that you can get an idea of what makes a successful eBook cover.
Here are our 9 Best Practices on Designing a Perfect Cover for your eBook.
- Research Your Target Audience. Start by doing research on who your target audience is and what they want in a book. You can do this by looking at other books in the same genre as yours or reading reviews of other books that are similar to yours. This will help you figure out what kind of images or colors work best for your target audience.
- Start with a memorable title. The title of your ebook should be catchy and easy to remember. It should also be short enough so that it fits on the cover without looking too cluttered or crowded.
- Concise Title. The title should be concise and relevant to the content of your ebook. It should also include keywords about what people can expect to find inside it.
- Next you should consider your Subtitle. Your subtitle is typically used to describe who would benefit from reading this ebook or what readers can gain by reading it. You want this section to be short and sweet so that it doesn’t take away from the effectiveness of your title or description sections below it on the front cover page.
- Author Name. Add author name typically at the top or bottom of the eBook cover.
- Pick a background color. Choose a color that compliments your title text and reflects your book's genre or subject matter. For example, if your book is about cooking with kids then you might want to use bright colors like reds or oranges to represent the upbeat spirit of food preparation.
- Pick the right font. Use a font that is easy to read and that fits your book's genre. A sans-serif font like Arial or Verdana is often the best choice for ebook covers because they are clean and modern looking without being too flashy or distracting from the content on the page.
- Use high-quality images. Have some professional-looking images ready for your cover design before you start designing it or hire someone who can do this for you if you don’t have any good quality photos of your own - this will save you time and effort later on when it comes time to upload the cover onto platforms like Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing or Payhip.
- Establish the tone of your book. What mood are you trying to convey? Are you writing a book about business, self-help, or fiction? This will help you decide on the color scheme and overall feel of your cover. For example, if your book is about business, then you may want to consider using shades of blue or green for your background color.
You can also go through some online resources that provide free eBook Cover Templates and find one which suits your needs best.
I will recommend you to use Canva as it has awesome eBook cover templates that you can edit and make changes as per requirement. It is a free tool and you can download your cover in formats like png, jpeg and others.
Don't Ignore The eBook Back Cover
The back cover of an eBook is the perfect place to include a compelling summary of the book and a call-to-action.
The back cover should provide an overview of the book, including the title, subtitle, author, and publishing date. It should also include a brief description of what it’s about and why people would want to read it.
Here are five steps to help you design a professional eBook back cover:
- Use your eBook's synopsis as the basis for your back cover copy.
- Include a summary that includes what the reader will learn from reading this book.
- Add in any quotes from reviews or testimonials that you have received about your book.
- Include a call-to-action to encourage readers to purchase or download your book (hard copy) immediately, such as "download my free guide now" or "buy my book on Amazon".
- Add your website URL so that your buyers may visit your site to know more about you.
- If you have an image for your book, please consider adding it to the back cover so that potential readers can better visualize and understand what they will be getting.
What Are The Best eBook Cover Maker Tool?
Here are the four best tools that you can use to create your own professionally designed eBook Covers:
1. Canva: Canva is an online graphic design software that is easy to use. It has a library of templates and images that can be used for designing different kinds of graphics. It is an excellent tool for those who want to create their own graphics (including eBook cover), but don't have much design experience or time on hand.
2. Snappa: Snappa is a graphic design service that helps you create and publish eBooks, infographics, and other visual content including eBook covers. It offers a number of templates to choose from depending on the type of project you are working on.
3. Visme: Visme is another popular online graphic design tool for creating infographics, presentations, web pages, and social media graphics. It provides a wide range of templates and tools to make the process of creating graphics easier. You can easily edit one of the available eBook cover templates to create your own unique cover.
4. Adobe Spark: Adobe Spark is a web-based graphic design and web publishing application that allows users to create stunning graphics, videos, and other content. Adobe Spark has a lot of features that make it a great tool for graphic designers. It has a library of pre-made templates to choose from, as well as the ability to upload your own images and fonts to create a cover for your eBook.
Visit Adobe Spark.
How To Create An eBook Cover In 4 Easy Steps
Canva is a graphic design tool that allows designers to create high-quality graphics for social media, websites, and print media.
You can easily create professionally looking eBook Cover in Canva within minutes. It offers lots of ready-made eBook cover templates that you can tweak as per your requirement, download it and make it your eBook cover.
Let's see step by step process to create a cover for your eBook in Canva:
Go to https://canva.com and follow the below mentioned steps to create your cover.
Step 1: Enter the term - eBook Cover in the search bar and press the Enter button. Canva will display different pre-built templates from different genre.
You can build a cover entirely from scratch or select one from the pre-built templates.
Step 2: After selecting the template, Canva editor will open. Canva editor is the place where you can edit your cover as per your requirement.
It offers the following editing options:
- Templates. You can find this option - Templates, at the top left of the editor. If you don't like the current template, you change your cover template here.
- Elements. It offers different elements to design your eBook cover - shapes, graphics, photos, audios, videos, charts, frames, grids, and others.
- Uploads. It allows you to add your own custom images.
- Text. To add text in your eBook cover, you can use this element. Canva allows you to add a simple text or choose from custom built ready-made text design template. Add the text template and edit to change its color, size, font style.
Step 3: Make changes to the cover by selecting the text or image already present in the template or add a new text, shape, image or graphics from the left side panel of Canva.
Step 4:. When your eBook cover is ready, you can download it in the following formats - png, jpg, pdf print (high-quality), gif and others.
In this article we have gone through the process of designing an eBook cover from start to finish, and also shared some of the best practices for designing a professional eBook cover.
Book covers are the first thing that a reader will see before they decide to read your book. This is one of the most important aspects of marketing your book.
A professional eBook cover is a key factor for the success of your book. A well-designed ebook cover can do wonders for your sales and marketing efforts.
I hope this article will help you create the best cover for your eBook.
Sharing is Caring! If you like this article, please take a moment to share it on social media websites. The sharing link is given below.