I have realized that many new and even some experienced bloggers made two types of common mistakes which costs them dearly in the long run.
First they choose a cheap web host and second, they don't use any good WordPress security plugins for their blog.
Due to above mistakes their site remain vulnerable to following threats:
- brute force attack
- malicious traffic
- hacking attempts
Why Should You Use A WordPress Security Plugin?
Every day thousands of websites are hacked or infected with malware or ransomware. If you don't use a good security plugin for your WordPress website then it can cause some good damage to your site reputation and business.
- You can loose important data of your website.
- You can be blocked from accessing your website.
- Hackers can steal your users and customers private data.
- Your website can even be destroyed or deleted completely and you won't be able to recover it.
- Your website can be used to distribute malicious code to your visitors hurting your brand and SEO rankings.
Though sometimes it was possible to recover your site but not without hiring professionals and incurring huge costs.
Thus, to avoid your website from being hacked you can follow this small guide. I have compiled all the necessary steps on how to keep website secure.
The first important step that you could take to secure your WordPress site is to install and activate a WordPress security plugin. This plugin would help you to tighten security of your website by keeping at bay all the above mentioned threats.
I have listed below some of the best WordPress security plugins but you should not install more than one plugin. A single plugin is enough to protect your site. Using more than one security plugins can cause bugs in your site.
Best WordPress Security Plugins
Let's check out some of the best WordPress security plugins that you can use to protect your website.
Wordfence is a free plugin that protects your website from common security threats.
Security features of Wordfence:
- Integrated Web Application Firewall (WAF) identifies and blocks malicious traffic.
- It's malware scanner blocks requests that include malicious code or content.
- It protects your website from brute force attacks by limiting login attempts.
- Checks your website for known security vulnerabilities and alerts you to any issues.
- Alerts you to potential security issues when a plugin has been closed or abandoned.
- Scans your file contents, posts and comments for dangerous URLs and suspicious content.
- and many other features.
Sucuri is one of the best WordPress security plugins on the market. It has both free as well as paid version.
It's free version is good to protect your website from common security threats but if you want advanced protection then you would have to subscribe its premium version.
Security features of Sucuri:
- Web Application Firewall (WAF) to protect your website against hacks and DDoS attacks.
- WAF also blocks malicious traffic that can harm your website.
- Serve static content from their own highly optimized CDN servers which boost your website's speed and performance.
- Remotely scans your website for malware and clean your website at no additional cost if it gets infected with malware.
- Protects your website against SQL Injections, XSS, etc.
iThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security) is the product of same company which developed one of the best back up plugin Backupbuddy.
iThemes Security is another popular security plugin which lets you easily scan your website for security vulnerabilities.
Security features of iThemes Security:
- You can use two-factor authentication to provide an extra layer of security to your website.
- Easily update your WordPress keys and salts.
- Automatically scan your website for malware.
- It allows you to create strong passwords for your website.
- Set a maximum password age and force users to choose a new password.
- Use Google reCAPTCHA to protect your site against spammers.
- If a file change is detected it will scan the origin of the files to determine if the change was malicious or not.
All In One WP Security is another popular security plugin with 8,00,000 plus active installs.
You can install this WordPress security plugin to add some extra security and firewall to your site.
Security features of All In One WP Security:
- Protect against “Brute Force Login Attack” with the Login Lockdown feature.
- Force logout of all users after a configurable time period
- Add Google reCaptcha or plain maths captcha to WordPress Login form.
- Ban users by specifying IP addresses.
- Add firewall protection to your site via htaccess file.
BulletProof Security with 60,000 plus active installations is relatively new among large players. However, it has some useful features that can help you to secure your website from external threats.
It has setup wizard which will guide you to enable all security options to protect your site.
BulletProof Security Features:
- MScan Malware Scanner scans your website for malware threats.
- Add firewall protection to your site via htaccess file.
- It has Login Security & Monitoring system.
- Idle Session Logout
- Auth Cookie Expiration
- Database backup
I will recommend you to install any one of the above security plugin. One security plugin is enough to optimally protect your website.
In addition to a WordPress security plugin, it is also recommended to follow the below mentioned tips to keep your website secure.
- Whenever WordPress releases its latest version update it to keep your website safe.
- Keep your plugins up to date.
- Install an Antivirus Programs to keep your computer and website secure.
- Regularly change your WordPress passwords.
- Always take back up of your website. It will help you to restore your website if anything goes wrong.
- Use CDN like Cloudflare to keep your website fast and secure.
If you have not yet installed any security plugin for your website then your website security is at risk. Install any of the above WordPress security plugin today.
Having a proper security system in place for your website will give you peace of mind and you can concentrate on producing awesome contents for your users.
If you like this article please share it.