Making a clickable text or button in your blog post is quite simple. The process of making your text clickable is called hyperlinking and the linked text is called a hyperlink.
Linking means to create hyperlinks in your page or post. We make links clickable for the following reasons:
- To recommend other articles of your blog to your users.
- Directing users to a sign-up page.
- Direct your users to an external website.
Why do we direct our users to the internal content of our blog?
Interlinking your blog content is one of the best SEO practices. It is the process where your blog article has links to other articles on your site. When the readers click on this link, they are redirected to another article on your site.
Directing user to an internal content of our blog has the following SEO advantages:
- To allow search engines like Google to easily crawl and index all of your pages.
- To allow search engines to see the structure of your site. A clean structure of your site can get all of your pages to get indexed easily and quickly.
- It helps to increase the average session duration by the visitor.
- It helps to increase the number of page visits per user.
- It allows your users to navigate your site easily from one blog post to another. When a user selects any clickable link on your blog page and navigates to other blog pages, it lowers your bounce rate. A lower bounce rate may result in a higher ranking on the search engine results page.
Why do we direct our users to the external content of our blog?
Sometimes when we find any useful content on an external website that is related to our visitors, we add a link to that site in our blog articles.
That way, our visitors can also visit this external website by clicking on these links to learn more about it.
Okay now that we have learned why we create clickable links on our site, let's see how we can make a link clickable.
In this tutorial we will learn:
- how to make a clickable link,
- how to make a link open in a new tab and
- how to make a link do-follow or no-follow
Learn how to make a link clickable on your Blog.
How To Make A Link Clickable?
To make a word or a group of words into a clickable link, take a look into this small video that illustrates how easy it is to make a clickable link in WordPress.
All the steps involved in creating a clickable link are also mentioned after this video.
If you are a beginner and are using WordPress for the first time, then all these may look a little confusing but within a short time, you will get hang of all the technical processes involved in running a blog on WordPress platform.
Now, let's see the 3 easy steps to make a clickable link.
1. Select (highlight) the text that you want to make a clickable link.
2. After selecting (highlighting) the text that you want to make a clickable link, select Add Link option (see image).
3. After selecting the Add Link option, enter or paste the target URL. In the given example, I have entered my website (https://technicalwall.com) as the target URL.
After entering the target URL, select the Link Settings.
Under Link Settings, you have the following two options.
- Open in New Tab
Choose Open in New Tab, if you want to open the target URL in a browser tab. If you want to open the target URL in the same window don't select this option.
But when to make links open in a new tab or keep your readers in the same browser window? See the following two conditions.
- If the target URL is your blog article then you may choose not to select Open in New Tab option.
- If the target URL is linking to external website then you must choose Open in New Tab option. This way your website window will remain open and your visitors will have the option to return to your site. This also helps in lowering the bounce rate of your site.
Choose Nofollow if you don't want to pass link juice to the target URL website. If the target URL belongs to the external website you can choose to select Nofollow option.
But if the target URL belongs to your blog articles then you must not choose this option. When you don't choose Nofollow, then the link automatically becomes Dofollow link and it will benefit your site in terms of SEO.
Also Read: Make money with Amazon Associates Program
We have now reached the end of this small tutorial on how to make a link clickable.
This tutorial for complete beginners will help them in achieving small tasks like making a link clickable which is a normal routine work in Blogging.
I hope that I am able to explain all the steps required to create a clickable link.
If you like the article please offer your comment below and also share our article. Every share meant a lot to us.